Executive secretary (m/f/div)
Executive secretary (m/f/div)
full time (39 hours)
We are looking for an experienced assistant to support the director and department members, who are research scientists from all over the world. English is the main language used at our institute, next to Dutch and German. It is an international community with over 24 nationalities.
Our ideal candidate is highly motivated, accurate, reliable, intelligent, open-minded, and flexible. The candidate has excellent organizational, communication, digital and social skills, and is equally able to work in a team and independently.
About the department
The Neurobiology of Language department investigates the relationship between language and the brain. Our researchers work at both the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour and the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics. Peter Hagoort is the head of this research group. Visit our scientific website or our Dutch blog for more information.
For the Director:
- Managing appointments
- Taking care of travel bookings and administration
- Supporting recruitment of new department members
- Organizing meetings, workshops, outreach events
- Preparing slides, Excel sheets, and online meetings
- Providing general support (e.g. maintaining correspondence, publications, CV, and personal website updates)
Many of these tasks also apply to the department members, but in addition the candidate should be able to:
- Organize onboarding procedures for new department members
- Maintain the department website
- Optimize office and work space organization
- Relevant vocational training and professional experience
- (Nearly) native command of the Dutch and English language, both orally and in writing
- Good command of the German language
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Office Tools
- Experience with digital platforms (e.g. Zoom, Mattermost, Rocket.Chat)
- Experience in Academia or an educational institution is an advantage
Conditions of employment
- Full-time position (39 hours per week – preferably, a part-time position is negotiable) with an initial term of appointment of one year, with the prospect of an extension until January 31, 2024
- The salary is in accordance with the German TVöD (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst) and is classified in salary group 9a (starting salary depending on the experience of the applicant between €3,044.70 and €3,977.78 gross per month), based on a full-time employment; in addition to the salary an 8% holiday allowance
- Participation in a pension scheme
- Thirty days of leave per year, based on a full-time employment, in addition, no work shall be performed on the Dutch and German public holidays
The MPI for Psycholinguistics in Nijmegen is the only research institute in the world entirely devoted to psycholinguistics – the study of how we produce and understand language, and how we acquire these skills as first or second language learners. We are situated on the campus of the Radboud University, and have close collaborative links with the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour and the Centre for Language Studies of the Radboud University. We are part of the Max Planck Society, an association of fundamental research institutes funded by the German government. The Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics recognizes the positive value of diversity, promotes equality, and challenges discrimination. We are committed to redressing systemic problems with diversity in science, and therefore welcome applications from individuals from minority groups and from groups that are otherwise underrepresented. For further details please visit our website: https://www.mpi.nl.
To apply please go to our application portal.
Applications should be in a PDF file and should include:
i. A motivation letter in English
ii. A CV
iii. The names and contact details of two referees
Should you require more information about the position, please contact Anique Heurkens (HR@mpi.nl).